- Learning a second language helps increase listening ability, memory, creativity, and critical thinking - all of which are thinking processes that improve learning in general.
- When students are fluent in two languages, they perform better academically than their monolingual peers.
- Research shows that the best time for children to become fluent in another language is before the age of 13.
- Cultural awareness and appreciation prepare students to understand how to work within a diverse work force.
- For heritage speakers, learning one’s heritage language fosters a sense of self-concept and pride.
- Learning Spanish in elementary school readies students for taking advanced Spanish courses (AP) in secondary schools and college.